Zero Robotics is a program out of MIT that offers 5 weeks of free programming curriculum for middle schoolers. During the five week program, middle school students work in teams with summer program educators/facilitators to learn about computer programming, coding, robotics and space engineering while gaining experience programming SPHERES (Synchronized, Position, Hold, Engage, Reorient, Experimental Satellites). The program culminates in a national tournament where each states code is used for the SPHERES battle aboard the International Space Station (ISS).
What do the students do?
- Work in teams to learn more about the exciting world of computer programming, coding, robotics, space engineering and practice their 21st Century/Employability Skills
- Gain experience programming SPHERES (Synchronized, Position, Hold, Engage, Reorient, Experimental Satellites)
- Compete in a national tournament where SPHERES battle aboard the International Space Station(ISS)
- See the SPHERES operate in space via a live feed from the ISS while NASA astronauts provide real-time commentary
What are programs asked to provide?
- Access to a computer lab (or laptop devices) for their team
- 15 hours of Zero Robotics instruction per each of the 5 weeks
- Transportation to the Field day and Final Competition Day
- All of the curriculum is provided for FREE
Important dates to note:
- Mandatory in-person training for team facilitator on Saturday, June 8
- Programs run from July 9 – August 10
- Field Day likely on July 17
- Final Competition Day in August
Apply Now or contact Bernard.Rahming@oregonask.org with questions
OregonASK has been facilitating the implementation of Zero Robotics teams around Oregon since the summer of 2015. We partner with Oregon State University to host a Field Day kick off event and Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum to host the finale. All of the curriculum and software for Zero Robotics is provided to programs for free. We have been working the last several years to bring new teams on each year in hopes of exposing more youth to this unique experience.
If you are interested in learning more or putting a team together for next years competition, please contact Katie at email@example.com.