World Trade Center Portland, OR
In partnership with STEM Next, OregonASK is proud to have hosted the 2016 STEM Systems Institute: Cultivating the STEM Continuum. The STEM Institute brought together leadership teams from Statewide Afterschool Networks, partners developing STEM systems, and local STEM partners to explore connections between STEM systems building, expanded learning opportunities and workforce.
This two-day event was held at the World Trade Center in Portland, Oregon, May 12-13, 2016. We were able to engage and exemplify those doing great work in STEM education around the country and throughout our state.
The Focus of the 2016 STEM Institute:
- Utilizing Expanded Learning Opportunities to grow and support the STEM continuum on a statewide level.
- Examining successful industry partnerships and creative ways to incorporate and connect within a community that supports high quality, sustainable, state-level STEM systems.
- Raising awareness around Expanded Learning STEM opportunities.
During the STEM Institute, we were able to highlight several nationally recognized individuals, several of which we are lucky enough to have as local resources.
- Dr. Yong Zhao Shared about Reimagining STEM Education
- Building STEM Systems Panel was a dynamic representation of industry partners
- Other national & local experts bios can be found HERE
For a full list of speakers and session components, please download the program
Many thanks to our Field Trip Hosts and Event Sponsored listed below:
PENSOLE Footwear Design Academy
Portland Art Museum featuring Mythos Project
Airway Science for Kids at Portland Community College
Parkrose School District featuring NSF funded SYNERGIES Project
World of Speed Motorsports Museum
Oregon Institute of Technology
Portland Children’s Museum including Opal School
Self Enhancement Inc
Download STEM Institute Travel Booklet