EUGENE FAMILY YMCA JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Preschool Teacher
Positions Begin: July 26th, 2021
FLSA Status: Part Time
Ages: 2 ½- 5 years
Reports to: Preschool Program Director
Pay Rate: starting at base rate of $15.25
Primary Function: Youth Development
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
Provides direct supervision to a group of children in a Youth Development Program. Creates positive, nurturing relationships with children, while building cooperative relationships with families. Promotes
and supports the potential of all youth in programs and facilitates peer-to-peer connections as part of the overall youth development experience. Provides direction for the program and classroom. Implements program curriculum. Provides a quality experience to children and parents that focus on the YMCA values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring.
Assists with the planning of program lesson plans and implements culturally relevant activities in a developmentally appropriate manner, meeting the individual physical, social, emotional, and intellectual needs of the participants.
Serves as a positive role model, demonstrates professional behavior and understands positive youth development approaches to the academic and social development of youth.
- Facilitates a program environment that invites exploration, promotes positive play, and welcomes children.
- Promotes a positive approach to supervision, communication, and interactions with others. Maintains ongoing communication with supervisor.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of the YMCA mission, purpose and goals, childcare policies and YMCA standards; ensures the program meets the highest standards of excellence.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergency procedures.
- Follows all cleaning and sanitizing protocols
- Is up to date and follows guidance put forth by the Early Learning Division
- Checks and responds to email and other communication regularly
- Actively engaged with youth and activities during the program day.
- Maintains positive relationships and effective communication with families, facility/school personnel, members and coworkers.
- Maintains program site and equipment, assists with setup and breakdown of activity centers and cleaning of program areas.
- Attends and participates in family nights, program activities, staff meetings, and staff training.
- Relay information to families about a child’s day respectfully.
- Lead Teacher resumes daily activities and schedules according to how the room is structured by Director when the Director is out.
- May provide guidance to staff/volunteers overseeing the activities of groups of children
- Continue training in child development minimum of 15 hours per certification year
- Other duties as assigned.
As a Y staff you are a representative for our Y’s mission and values. As such it is asked that you:
- approach conversations with respect
- uphold the Y’s character values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility in all interpersonal interactions
- approach all people and situations with an open mind – we can never know all the many perspectives and experiences others bring with them just as they won’t know yours
- be accountable to the energy you bring into the conversation and into the workplace
- 20 semester or 30 quarter credits in Child Development, Early Education, Elementary Education, Special Education OR a minimum of one year experience working in a licensed preschool OR 1500 hours in 3 hour blocks or a combination.
- At least 18 years of age
- CPR, First Aid, Food Handlers certifications and Child Abuse prevention training within 30 days of hire date
- Enrolled in the Child Care Division Central Background Registry and proof of enrollment.
- Ability to plan, organize and implement age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate
- Previous experience with diverse populations preferred. Ability to develop positive, authentic relationships with people from different backgrounds
- Acquire 18 hours of training per year
Communication (written and verbal)
Child Care Youth & Families
Multi Site Coordinator
Associate Youth Development Director
Youth Development Director
- Ability to plan, lead and participate in activities such as sports, games and curriculum activities and monitor behavior inside and outside.
- Must be able to walk, run, stand, sit, kneel and get back to a standing position.
- Ability to lift and carry weight of 50lbs.
- Staff should expect to swim when needed during lessons and free swim.
- General housekeeping – Mop/Sweep. Take trash out. Wash dishes. Clean tables, toys, stack and put baskets away etc.
- Must wear a face covering unless proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
Monday thru Friday 10am-6pm
Any other jobs or schooling should not interfere with the Y Preschool Teacher position or hours.
*Hours can vary
The Y: We’re for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
To apply for this job please visit www.paycomonline.net.