In a coordinated effort, we have the opportunity to create and identify various resources that would benefit Oregon Child Care Reference and Referral (CCR&R) agencies, raise awareness of the importance of being two weeks ready in natural or man-made emergencies, and connect community resources to early child care and school-age programs over the next two years. As the statewide afterschool network whose mission is to support, expand and educate on quality expanded learning opportunities for children youth and families throughout the state, OregonASK is excited to be part of this work to ensure school-age and community partners are authentically engaged in this process.
Oregon is frequently void of most natural disasters, but the reality of how communities nationwide are being impacted has demonstrated that we must be more prepared. Many licensed child care centers and afterschool programs are under-resourced and unprepared for a natural or man-made disaster and we want to help communities prepare to minimize the chaos that ensues after any type of emergency.
Our long term goals in this emergency preparedness campaign include making sure all child care centers have adequate resources and systems in place to address emergencies, while also helping broader communities feel enabled to leverage necessary resources when emergencies do occur.
2 Weeks Ready Conversations- Have Your Voice Heard
The COVID-19 pandemic has caused the shut down of schools, businesses, and required Governor Kate Brown to put in place orders of social distancing to slow the spread of the virus. While this is a stressful time, many communities have banded together to support one another in countless ways. To capture what is truly happening across the State, OregonASK has been holding online weekly conversations with our partners. We want to continue those conversations but going a step farther into preparing for what could come next. The 2 Weeks Ready Campaign will be continuing the community conversations online starting the week of April 20th, 2020. Join OregonASK in an online conversation about what systems and supports Child Care and Afterschool Programs need for an emergency situation. Participants will receive a FREE certificate of 1 hour of Set 1 Credit in the CKC of HSN in the Oregon Registry through OregonASK. Register for a specific county or statewide call below:
- Columbia Gorge – Gilliam, Hood River, Sherman, Wasco & Wheeler
- 7/14/20 click here to register
- Central Oregon – Deschutes, Crook & Jefferson
- 7/30/20 click here to register
- Columbia County
- 8/4/20 click here to register
- Southern Oregon – Jackson & Josephine Counties
- 8/12/20 click here to register
- South Central Oregon – Douglas, Klamath & Lake
- 8/31/20 click here to register
- Statewide Community Conversation
- 9/22/20 click here to register
Emergency Preparedness Resources
Take a few minutes to watch this Portland-based TedTalk on “Why We Do Not Prepare For Earthquakes” by Steven Eberlein. Steven, who has started Tipping Point Resilience, illustrates emergency preparedness in a Pacific Northwest as something akin to camping. Click here to watch the ten minute TedTalk.
OregonASK has been working to identify various resources that would help programs become more prepared in case of natural or manmade disasters. Below are materials that provide useful quick tips, sample forms that can be utilized as a template, and background information on Oregon child care plans/rules.
- Kids Curriculum
- Emergency Preparedness Needs Assessment & Manual for Childcare Programs
- Helping Kids Cope and Involving Families
- Oregon Child Care Plans and Rules
- Emergency Preparedness Sample Forms and Checklists
- Cascades Region Prepare Guide Calendar
- Pandemic Flu Planning Guide
Continuity Planning Resources
- FEMA Continuity Plan Template and Instructions for Non-Federal Entities & Community Based Organizations
- Continuity Resource Toolkit
- Continuity Guidance Circular
- Damage Assessment Forms, Templates & Resources
Oregon Office of Emergency Management
To help communities become 2 Weeks Ready, the Oregon Office of Emergency Management (OEM) developed resources that include quick, informational 2 Weeks Ready Videos & Brochures.
2 Weeks Ready Videos:
2 Weeks Ready Brochures:
- Children and Babies
- Communicating Before, During and After Emergencies
- Creating Prepared Communities
- First Aid: Be Your Own First Responder
- Neighbors Helping Neighbors
- Preparedness for Seniors
- Shelter: A Safe Place After Disaster
- Prepare to Stay Hydrated
- Prepare Your Pantry
2 Weeks Ready Kickoff Webinar
If you weren’t able to attend the live version of the 2 Weeks Ready Kickoff Webinar, watch the recording down below!
The webinar covers:
- Who OregonASK is in the campaign
- Key partners
- Goals of the campaign
- A tentative timeline of the next two years.
(Webinar audio starts at 2:25 and again at 5:03 to allow participants who attended plenty of time to get logged on and settled.)
If you have any questions about the 2 Weeks Ready Campaign, please email firstname.lastname@example.org