In a coordinated effort, we have the opportunity to create and identify various resources that would benefit Oregon Child Care Reference and Referral (CCR&R) agencies, raise awareness of the importance of being two weeks ready in natural or man-made emergencies, and connect community resources to early child care and school age programs over the next two years. As the statewide afterschool network who’s mission is to support, expand and educate on quality expanded learning opportunities for children youth and families throughout the state, OregonASK is excited to be part of this work to ensure school age and community partners are authentically engaged in this process.
Oregon is frequently void of most natural disasters, but the reality of how communities nationwide are being impacted has demonstrated that we must be more prepared. Many licensed child care centers and afterschool programs are under resourced and unprepared for a natural or man-made disaster and we want to help communities prepare to minimize the chaos that ensues after any type of emergency.
Our long term goals in this emergency preparedness campaign include making sure all child care centers have adequate resources and systems in place to address emergencies, while also helping broader communities feel enabled to leverage necessary resources when emergencies do occur.
Have Your Voice Heard
Join OregonASK and your local CCR&R network in an emergency preparedness community conversation. We want to hear from communities to help ensure that child care providers and school-age programs can be adequately prepared, ‘2 Weeks Ready’ in the case of a man-made or natural emergency. OregonASK will be traveling around the state over the next two years to hold these emergency preparedness conversation to hear what resources and challenges exist in each community.
Community Conversation Schedule:
- Year 1:
- Multnomah County Community Conversation –
- 2/19/20 click here to RSVP
- Tillamook Community Conversation –
- 4/28/20 click here to RSVP
- Clatsop Community Conversation–
- 4/29/20 click here to RSVP
- Malheur County –
- Harney County –
- Grant County –
- Clackamas County –
- 5/28/20 click here to RSVP
- Coos Bay Counties – TBD
- Curry County- TBD
- Deschutes, Crook & Jefferson Counties – TBD
- Linn, Benton & Lincoln Counties – TBD
- Marion, Polk, & Yamhill Counties – TBD
- Washingon County Community Conversation – TBD
- Multnomah County Community Conversation –
- Year 2:
- Baker County – TBD
- Douglas County – TBD
- Gilliam, Hood River, Sherman, Wasco & Wheeler Counties – TBD
- Jackson & Josephine Counties – TBD
- Klamath & Lake Counties – TBD
- Lane County – TBD
- Morrow County – TBD
- Union County – TBD
- Wallowa County – TBD
Emergency Preparedness Resources
Take a few minutes to watch this Portland based TedTalk on “Why We Do Not Prepare For Earthquakes” by Steven Eberlein. Steven, who has started Tipping Point Resilience, illustrates emergency preparedness in a Pacific Northwest as something akin to camping. Click here to watch the ten minute TedTalk.
OregonASK has been working to identify various resources that would help programs become more prepared in case of natural or manmade disasters. Below are materials that provide useful quick tips, sample forms that can be utilized as a template, and background information on Oregon child care plans/rules.
- Kids Curriculum
- Emergency Preparedness Needs Assessment & Manual for Childcare Programs
- Helping Kids Cope and Involving Families
- Oregon Child Care Plans and Rules
- Emergency Preparedness Sample Forms and Checklists
- Cascades Region Prepare Guide Calendar
Oregon Office of Emergency Management
To help communities become 2 Weeks Ready, the Oregon Office of Emergency Management (OEM) developed resources that include quick, informational 2 Weeks Ready Videos & Brochures.
2 Weeks Ready Videos:
2 Weeks Ready Brochures:
- Children and Babies
- Communicating Before, During and After Emergencies
- Creating Prepared Communities
- First Aid: Be Your Own First Responder
- Neighbors Helping Neighbors
- Preparedness for Seniors
- Shelter: A Safe Place After Disaster
- Prepare to Stay Hydrated
- Prepare Your Pantry
2 Weeks Ready Kickoff Webinar
If you weren’t able to attend the live version of the 2 Weeks Ready Kickoff Webinar, watch the recording down below!
The webinar covers:
- Who OregonASK is in the campaign
- Key partners
- Goals of the campaign
- A tentative timeline of the next two years.
(Webinar audio starts at 2:25 and again at 5:03 to allow participants who attended plenty of time to get logged on and settled.)
If you have any questions about the 2 Weeks Ready Campaign, please email email@example.com